Saturday, October 29, 2011

Basil Fried Rice

As I am sure you have figured out by now, I like to occupy my time with many different things. Another one of things that I love to do is COOK!!! It's super relaxing for me and really quite fun :)

This is one of my favorite dishes to make. It's inspired by this restaurant in Atlanta that my family and I used to go that had a delicious Basil Fried Rice. Unfortunately the restaurant shut down a few years ago and so this is my attempt to recreate my favorite dish.
What you will Need:
  • 1 cup long grain rice
  • 1 large onion chopped
  • 1 large head of fresh broccoli florets partially steamed
  • 1 green pepper sliced (can use other colors if you prefer or a variety/ mix of peppers to give more color)
  • 1/2 cup shredded carrots
  • 1 can baby corn
  • 2 jalapeno peppers finely chopped (remove the seeds if you don't want it too spicy)
  • 10-12 Basil leaves
  • 1 bunch of green onions for garnish
  • Ground Red Pepper (to taste)
  • 4 Tbsp Soy Sauce
  • 4 Tbsp Vegetable oil
Preperation:
  1. Cook the rice with about 1-2 Tbsp of soy sauce, 4-5 basil leaves and some ground red peppers. I use a rice cooker, but you can do it on the stove top if you prefer.
  2. Using a wok on high heat, quickly stir-fry all the vegetables. (use as much oil as needed). I like to do them separately, but if you have a larger wok you can throw in all the veggies at the same time.
  3. Once all the veggies are stir-fried add a little bit of oil, basil and soy sauce in the wok and allow to sizzle a few seconds and then add in the veggies.
  4. Add as much ground red pepper as you need to achieve your desired spice level.
  5. Add in the cooked rice and stir-fry a few more minutes
  6. Garnish with some chopped green onions and serve hot.

This will usually feed about 2-3 adults depending on if this is going to be a main dish or if you are going to be serving it with something. I also like to add Tofu to this dish, but you can add whatever meat the you prefer. If you are going to be using tofu, make sure you marinate the tofu over night to get the best flavor possible.

I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as I do. If you have any question just let me know!

photo courtesy of Emmanuel Thelamour.







No comments:

Post a Comment